[governance] Proposed statement on .ORG sale

Mon Dec 9 04:54:21 EST 2019

Dear Ayden,With reference to the ISOC community (Members & Chapters), I do not expect any opposition or arguments against the decision made by the CEO/BoT so far. Because of may reasons including their financial support interests.

Regarding the question about support ISOC has in favor of sale of registry, ... Yes, they do not have it. But the question is this how much numbers of support and against are readable to ICANN, probably it depends on the Eyeglasses they worn......for example, at that time 2002, ISOC/PIR was not operating any registry but they used to show the support of subcontractor (partner) and mentioned their experience of  950,000 domains (.info and .vc). Similarly, Gartner has objection on the financial capability of the ISOC, but in comparison, the financial of subcontractors were mentioned.
at that time, PIR was founded just few months ago, and practically ISOC or PIR both did not have any experience or support any registry at their own but but the report managed it ......mentioning following golden words in their favor:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
6. PIR has a high level of support from .ORG registrants ISOC's established reputation allows PIR's approach to enjoy the support of a wide range of individuals and entities, including the leaders of many noncommercial entities both inside and outside the Internet space. These organizations and individuals are attracted by ISOC's heritage of responsiveness and support for noncommercial interests, and PIR's proposed governance and consensus-building mechanisms. This solid foundation will help enable .ORG to reach its full potential under new management. Details regarding these supportive organizations and individuals are found in Section VII  ("Responsiveness to the Noncommercial Internet User Community").- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

".....These organizations and individuals are attracted by ISOC's heritage of responsiveness and support for noncommercial interests, and PIR's proposed governance and consensus-building mechanisms...."

Do we see any so called "consensus-building mechanisms", made at the time of sale of registry..and any protection..of noncommercial interest? "..... ISOC's heritage of responsiveness and support for noncommercial interests...."

They can manipulate the basic requirements and will response accordingly.

Best Regards
Imran Ahmed Shah

    On Monday, 9 December 2019, 13:56:30 GMT+5, Ayden Férdeline <ayden at ferdeline.com> wrote:

 Hi John,

> there are millions of registrants in .org, and no
> practical way to survey them due both to the way registries work and
> the need to do it in a reasonable time.

Sure. I accept that.

But what, then, does the Board make of a petition being signed by 15,000 organizations and individuals, including some of the world's largest NGOs, and even statements opposing the sale signed by three of its own Chapters?

My point is, there is clear opposition to the sale from the non-commercial community, but few cheerleaders.

Bullet 6 states, "There will likely be significant difficulties in ascertaining the level of support for particular .org proposals from throughout the .org registrants and noncommercial community. Nevertheless, proposals to operate the .org TLD should provide available evidence of support from across the global Internet community."

ISOC has provided no such support.

All of the support I have seen for the sale has come from current or former ISOC and/or PIR board members, and people currently on ISOC's payroll, even on this mailing list. (By the way, I personally think people should be declaring such a conflict when they comment on this issue.)

> By the way, do you have any .org registrations?

With respect, what is the relevance of that question? I have no financial interest here. I have nothing to lose (directly) from the sale of PIR to Ethos Capital, and I have nothing to gain.

Indirectly, of course, I have much to lose as a non-commercial user of the Domain Name System from the Domain Name System being more commercialized. As we all do.

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline