[governance] Proposed statement on .ORG sale

Sun Dec 8 13:58:19 EST 2019

Hi all,

Please see below (inline)...

Le ven. 6 déc. 2019 à 04:40, Sylvain Baya <abscoco at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Le mer. 4 déc. 2019 2:06 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> a écrit :
>
>> Two suggestions:
>>
>> I wouldn’t say that getting out of the gTLD-selling business weakens or
>> delegitimization ISOC. On the contrary, it disentangles them from a huge
>> distraction from their mission, and gives them an endowment which secured
>> their future.  That’s the first thing in their minds, so I’d acknowledge
>> that.
>>
>> Second, I think it’s worth referencing the principles of the 2002
>> transfer, which were that .ORG was to be both BY and FOR non-profits.
>>

> Dear Bill,
> Please can you elaborate, or just point to the criterion [1] which served
> you to affirm that ?

...i think, i get [1] the source now :-)
__
[1]: 2001 "*Proposed Revision to ICANN-VeriSign Agreements*", section D.2.
<https://www.icann.org/news/icann-pr-2001-03-01-en>
"*[...]*

*The net result of this would be a .org registry returned, after some
appropriate transition period, *
*to its originally intended function as a registry operated by and for
non-profit organizations.*
*[...]*"

Thanks.

Shalom,