[governance] PIR Case/or the .org sell

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sun Dec 1 20:17:10 EST 2019

Or given the numbers involved if the organisation buying a .org can show a 501c3 or equivalent certification that says it is a registered non profit in its country of origin give them the domain free
Bill the domainers whatever you like I won’t lose any sleep over it
--srs

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 6:45 AM +0530, "Bill Woodcock" <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2019, at 7:58 PM, Imran Ahmed Shah  wrote:
> Price Increase will eliminate many of the public interest activities, "not for profit organizations", "non-commercial entities", "digital presence of work for good reasons".

Can you elaborate on where you think a meaningful threshold lies?

Right now, the wholesale price is $10, and the retail price is (mostly) between $11 and $21.

And there are ~50x as many domain speculators as non-profits in .ORG.

My own feeling, as the administrator of a number of non-profits, is that I’m relatively price-insensitive.  I pay many tens of thousands of dollars to RIRs for my IP addresses each year.  I pay for IRR registrations.  I pay for trademarks.  $11 or $100 or $1,000 really don’t make much difference one way or other in my budget.  If I were running much smaller non-profits, I can imagine that $1,000 might start to be visible in the budget, but $100 still would not be.

On the other hand, at $100, all but the hardiest of domain speculators would be gone.

If you’re trying to maximize registry revenue, it makes much more sense to set a price in the $10-$15 range.  If you’re trying to serve a constituency, it makes much more sense to set the price higher; at a price they don’t mind (because they only use one or two), but which will drive out the speculators who preclude constituent registrations (because the speculators hoard hundreds or thousands, and that’s their primary expense).

                                -Bill