[governance] Draft Statement by IGC on Huan Qi's sentencing [5th August 2019 draft]

Sheetal Kumar sheetal at gp-digital.org
Wed Aug 7 06:20:42 EDT 2019

Dear Salanieta, all,

Thank you for your email and these efforts. I hope you'll excuse my
ignorance as a new member...I was wondering if this will be an 'IGC'
statement and if so if it has to be adopted by consensus or whether it is a
statement that anyone can sign on to? If it is an IGC statement then is
there a process for getting that consensus?

Best
Sheetal

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 11:05, "Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro" <
governance at lists.riseup.net> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

>    1. The draft statement has been up on the ether pad since the 5th
>    August, 2019. Does anyone have any pressing changes to make or suggest?
>    2. It is below in this email or on the etherpad: https://bit.ly/2Yr9o71
>    3. I would like to leave this here for another 72 hours to see if
>    there is any suggestion for change or revision or amendments. If so, please
>    refer to the paragraph and suggest an alternate text.
>    4. If within the 72 hours, there are no comments, I will submit this
>    for a call for consensus before as a community we decide whether we agree
>    or not and if the statement is to be made or not.
>    5. For now, thank you for the discussions, debate, diverse
>    perspectives so far, let's keep at it as it is productive and insightful.
>    6. Individually, we only see in part but together we see as a whole.
>    7. My only concern and motivation is Huang Qi.
>    8. I keep imagining him in a dark prison cell without access and even
>    if the statement does not get him freed but at least we would have
>    attempted to do something.
>
> With every best wish,
> Sala
>

> This is intended to be a collaborative process and is only a draft and we
> are not at the stage where there is a call for consensus yet.
>
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 4:14 PM Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <
> salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a revised draft following Norbert's comments. It is also on the
>> etherpad via
>> https://bit.ly/2Yr9o71
>>
>> There's free wifi on the plane so able to draft a revision.
>>
>> *Proposed Revised  Draft 5th August, 2019.*
>>
>> (1) The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) is deeply
>> concerned by global trends of governments to abuse the "national security"
>> exception to trample on basic freedoms of expression particularly when
>> these freedoms are fundamentally linked to good governance and keeping
>> governments accountable.
>>
>> (2) From Venezuela's treatment of Luis Carlos Diaz and numerous other
>> journalists, United States of America's treatment of Edward Snowden and
>> Julian Assange, France's mistreatment of Taha Bouhafs, a reporter at French
>> news website *Là-bas Si J'y Suis, *allegedly assaulted whilst filming a
>> protest of undocumented workers and now the recent sentencing of Chinese
>> webmaster and human rights activist Huang Qi to 12 years in prison for
>> allegedly leaking state secrets when he was promoting accountability and
>> transparency and good governance.
>>
>> (3) The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus calls on governments to
>> aspire to subscribe to the Charter of the Internet Rights and Principles
>> which was developed by the Dynamic Coalition on Internet Rights and
>> Principles within the Internet Governance Forum which is available on the
>> OHCHR website.
>>
>> (4) We note that China is a member of the United Nations Human Rights
>> Council this year.

> [...]

*Sheetal Kumar*
Programme Lead | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL
Second Home, 68-80 Hanbury Street, London, E1 5JL
T: +44 (0)20 3 818 3258| M: +44 (0)7739569514  |
PGP ID: E592EFBBEAB1CF31  | PGP Fingerprint: F5D5 114D 173B E9E2 0603 DD7F
E592 EFBB EAB1 CF31|