[governance] Fwd: [ContentModeration] Fwd: Prep meeting about Christchurch/UN pre-event /Tomorrow

Wed Aug 28 18:50:02 EDT 2019

Draft notes of Christchurch call prep meeting.

All,

During our meeting on August 27, we covered three important issues. I am
going to streamline the discussions but you can also see the full recording
for yourself at this link:[[https://bluejeans.com/s/xbpc5/]

   1. The advisory network: It is very important to join this advisory
   network if you want to be involved and contribute to the future of
   Christchruch call. Deadline is September 2. How to apply is
explained in [Important
   Announcement] Advisory Network, UN General Assembly Pre-event, Research
   Network
   <https://christchurchcallcoord.internetnz.nz/t/important-announcement-advisory-network-un-general-assembly-pre-event-research-network/218>

   - It is important *to join the advisory network* so that you can have a
   say later on about who to nominate to attend the side meeting of UN General
   assembly
   - *The composition of the advisory network*: during the meeting we
   discussed who would be joining this network, what are the criteria and
   whether businesses can join as well and what do we mean by the technical
   community. It seems like this is an open question and the NZ gov does not
   have a set answer set criteria. So if you want to give them some criteria
   based on which they can build this advisory network and recruit members,
   please send them feedback. One thing that was clear was that the advisory
   network is going to be non-technical.
   - As it was raised during the meeting, During the G7 meeting recently an
   Internet charter was adopted or committed to by member states. We discussed
   how that document could affect Christchurch call.

   1. the UN General Assembly, *Christ Church Call side meeting*: Up to 10
   civil society reps as observers can join this meeting. One or two reps can
   present for 5 minutes or less.

   -

   The nomination of participants at the UN General Assembly side meeting:
   Nomination will take place through the advisory network members. So make
   sure you are a member! The advisory network will also have a say on who
   would be speaking as the civil society rep. My understanding is that while
   all the nominations and suggestions might not be taken into account, the
   advisory network will have a crucial role in nominations. If you have not
   received the EOI, please let me know I can forward it to you.
   3.Research symposium before the Side meeting in Septemeber:
   -

   Nathan Torkington and Ellen Strickland will come up with an agenda for
   the symposium (date is TBD, but it will be between 20 to 22 September). It
   is not an academic conference so not everyone will be able to present their
   research outcome. But all the participants can contribute to the discussion
   during the symposium based on their own perspective and their research
   outcome. As Ellen said during the call, it is more of gathering collective
   wisdom and knowledge than fighting for a certain position.
   -

   Courtney C. Radsch raised the issue that much research has been done
   about the moderation of violent, extremist content. How does the symposium
   include such reserach? Nat responded that we should take the survey he has
   prepared in order to explore the areas where a lot of research has been
   done, and identify the research gap. The survey is here:
   https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSce0KNEJQa3K2SMpSx17CJc0cxckLBqx9-OhQ6AObSmcZ6Adw/viewform

*Action Items*

   1. Join the Advisory Network (Deadline September 2) - if you don’t have
   the EOI please let me know
   2. Send feedback to NZ government about the membership criteria of the
   advisory network and its responsibilities
   3. Sing up for Nathan Torkington and Ellen Strickland Symposium before
   the UN side meeting. Take this survey so that Nathan and Ellen can come up
   with a better agenda:
   https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSce0KNEJQa3K2SMpSx17CJc0cxckLBqx9-OhQ6AObSmcZ6Adw/viewform

Since I have been receiving emails about no access to the forum., I am
copying the notes here, but please if you get a chance join the forum.
Anyone can join.

[...]

That’s it for now from me.
Farzaneh