[governance] Statement by IGC on Huan Qi's sentencing

Fri Aug 2 12:45:52 EDT 2019

Dear All,

Please suggest revisions. When there is consensus and we finalise, we can
release the statement to China's ambassador to Geneva who is on the MAG.

Proposed Draft

The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is deeply concerned by the
sentencing of online activist Huang Qi to 12 years in prison.  Huang has
been honored multiple times by Reporters Without Borders for his courage in
exposing corruption and human rights violations in China through his
website, 64 Tianwang.

Huang Qi's persecution and imprisonment reflects China’s continued
repression of free speech.  We urge the Chinese government to uphold its
international commitments related to fair trial guarantees and the rule of
law.  We call on China to immediately release Mr. Huang, and to allow him
access to his family, medical care, and legal counsel as soon as possible.
We also call on China to end undue restrictions on the freedom of movement
of his family and those who assisted him.

We note that China is a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council
this year. The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus calls on China to
aspire to subscribe to the Charter of the Internet Rights and Principles
which was developed by the Dynamic Coalition on Internet Rights and
Principles within the Internet Governance Forum and is available on the
OHCHR website.