[governance] Statement by IGC on Huang Qi's sentencing

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Aug 2 10:06:11 EDT 2019

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 10:18:47 +0100
"\"Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro\"" (via governance Mailing List)
<governance at lists.riseup.net> wrote:

> Suggest some text.

Your original proposed text is fine from my perspective; my objection
only concerns an idea for changing it.

For the sake of convenient reference, here is Sala's original proposal
again:

"""
Proposed Draft

The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is deeply concerned by the
sentencing of online activist Huang Qi to 12 years in prison.  Huang
has been honored multiple times by Reporters Without Borders for his
courage in exposing corruption and human rights violations in China
through his website, 64 Tianwang.

Huang Qi's persecution and imprisonment reflects China’s continued
repression of free speech.  We urge the Chinese government to uphold
its international commitments related to fair trial guarantees and the
rule of law.  We call on China to immediately release Mr. Huang, and to
allow him access to his family, medical care, and legal counsel as soon
as possible.  We also call on China to end undue restrictions on the
freedom of movement of his family and those who assisted him.
"""

Greetings,
Norbert