[governance] [bestbits] Follow-on from survey on the future of Bestbits: next steps

Mon Apr 1 08:25:50 EDT 2019

Dear Sivasubramanian,
(Apologies for cross-posting)
Although various people have pointed to the need for a common voice for
civil society in this arena it really seems that there is no longer an
appetite for the individual effort needed for a successful collaboration of
this type. I would be very happy to have this opinion drowned by a chorus
of voices proving me wrong, but I am not expecting to hear them.
So I wonder if we should be looking for a new means to and a new process
for collaboration?
Should this be included in the agenda under 2 - Concrete ways forward?
I don't have any real suggestions. I think that, more now than before, the
process depends on individuals being willing to make a commitment of time
energy and effort, and that this is happening in a context where the
general ethos has lost its encouragement of sharing and communal energy.
It needs to become possible again to perceive a common good. Should this
happen by painstakingly linking very small local initiatives, where the
"common good" is easy to see, rather than attempting things on a global
scale (which in fact is "top down")?
Hopefully the discussion on 9th will take us nearer to a solution.
Best wishes
Deirdre