[governance] Diversity-suppressing false beliefs

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Mar 21 07:37:30 EDT 2018

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:09:50 +0200
Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> wrote:

> My personal view is that achieving diversity is not difficult. There
> are frequent assumptions in the internet world that there are not
> many women with IG knowledge and skills and leadership capacity and
> experience. There are similar assumptions about the pool of qualified
> candidates in the  global South  being extremely small. There is also
> an assumption that  diversity  is  just about gender, race,
> geographic location (what about diversity of political experience,
> views, business, knowledge etc.?).
>
> I personally do not agree with any of these assumptions! Do you?

I'm strongly in agreement with Anriette here.

On top of that, I wonder whether there's yet any in-depth research on
the underlying mechaniosms how these nowadays certianly false beliefs
and assumptions are still maintained and perpetuated.

I think that it would be important to shine a bright light on what
interests are served by these beliefs and assumptions.

Greetings,
Norbert