[governance] The world has changed but we haven't.

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Dec 18 18:11:44 EST 2018

Hi everyone,

My state of health makes travelling on long flights to crowded halls in
northern hemisphere winters too much of a risk, so my involvement in
internet governance issues will remain peripheral. But I remain an
interested observer and do hope that the efforts of those seeking change
to create a more effective civil society presence do succeed. There is a
lot to do out there and it would be good to see the way forward for
effective civil society involvement.

Forgive me for such a wide ranging post as this, but given the
conversations that have started up here I think it is worthwhile to add
a wider perspective to the discussions on civil society involvement in
“internet governance”.

There was a point of time when the Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) was
a lively and all inclusive forum for civil society people and
organisations interested in internet governance. That relates back to a
time when the term was new, as was the internet to many people. In those
days IGC was capable of working together and coming up with good joint
statements on issues.

But then there were political splits, and Just Net Coalition (JNC) and
Best Bits (BB) sprung up to ensure that specific viewpoints were given
emphasis.

But of late neither BB or JNC has been very active – nor has IGC. (I
note that the JNC website has no new entries in 2018, nor has its blog,
and if I am not wrong their public mailing list has also been inactive
for this period).

So all three appear to be in a state of inertia. It is definitely time
for something to happen, but what exactly is a bit of a dilemma.

Lets say that we let bygones be bygones and all three groups decided to
merge again into one? Will that create a useful civil society forum?

Of itself, I don't think so. (3*0=0). What is needed is changes to make
civil society involvement in these issues more widespread,
representative and credible. And I think that is going to involve
greater changes, and also a very strong outreach campaign.

So let me begin by saying the term internet governance is becoming about
as relevant as television governance. There is nothing generic left to
do, but there are plenty of emerging issues around the internet where
civil society needs to present a strong voice.

Apart from digital inclusion, big issues out there include privacy,
human rights, media domination, cybersecurity, cyberwarfare, digital
distortion etc: and they come up in separate discussions concerning
internet of things, artificial intelligence etc as well as in political
discussions on terrorism, national security and related subjects. Mostly
these days these issues are addressed in separate fora by different
groups: often governmental, but sometimes also involving the big
dominant players (Google Facebook etc.) In most cases civil society
presence is either absent or weak, and its not sensible to think that
the same people can represent our interests in this wide range of
activities.

So I think a new revived IGC would see its primary role as ensuring
relevant groups and individual experts get involved in emerging fora
looking at specific issues. Let eg Privacy International or Human Rights
Watch be our representative when these issues come up: involve
individual experts like Tim Wu and Bruce Schneier on issues such as
media concentration and security:

Then I think we are getting towards a meaningful role and involvement
where civil society involvement will be respected, and IGC could play a
meaningful ongoing role that extends well beyond getting together
annually at an IGF (if it continues).

Then there is what to do with CSCG. If, as I suggest, BB, JNC and IGC
end up as one group again, What is the future of CSCG? Only APC remains
as an active organisation at this stage. I think here thought needs to
be given to outreach as well – if for instance there was an agreement
that privacy and human rights were our two biggest issues, why not
invite prominent civil society organisations in those areas to join in?

Anyway, something needs to be done in all these areas. People whose
terms of office have ended have not been replaced because of the
inertia. I think and hope someone can jump up and take a lead to get
civil society working well in these areas. I see lots of excellent new
voices who want to do this, and I encourage action!

Ian Peter (ex co-ordinator of IGC and also Chair of CSCG for a while way
back then....)