[governance] IGF Taking Stock/ Public Input/ responding to Macron's call for action??

Mon Dec 17 18:35:53 EST 2018

Dear all

I offered to help IGC draft an input for IGF taking stock.

While reading the call for input a  couple of questions in the taking stock
call are worrying.
*https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-community-public-consultation-taking-stock-of-the-2018-work-programme-and-13th-igf-and
<https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-community-public-consultation-taking-stock-of-the-2018-work-programme-and-13th-igf-and>*

As you know president Macron made a rather controversial speech during IGF
opening ceremony, which emphasized a lot on regulation and multilateralism.

IGF has decided to ask us (among other things):

*C) How could the IGF respond to the recommendations made by the UN
Secretary-General during his speech at the IGF 2018 Opening Ceremony
<https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2018-address-to-the-internet-governance-forum-by-un-sg-ant%C3%B3nio-guterres>?
*

*D) How could the IGF respond to President Macron’s “call for action” made
during his speech at the IGF 2018 Opening Ceremony
<https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2018-speech-by-french-president-emmanuel-macron>?*

My concerns: why do we have to treat recommendations of heads of states and
the UN secretary general differently than other parts of the community?
Surely the IGF community also came up with recommendations and best
practices. IGF has drawn an unnecessary attention to these recommendations.

I don't think these questions should be asked, especially when some of
these recommendations can endanger the multistakeholder nature of
Internet governance and the nonbinding nature of IGF.  Can MAG members on
this list shed some lights how these questions were drafted?

I think a strong answer is needed. But I don't know if we can reach
consensus here as IGC to respond specifically to these questions.

Farzaneh