[governance] IMPORTANT : Merging IGC with Best Bits

Mon Dec 17 16:17:57 EST 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:08 AM farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Sala
>
> Answers in line
> Farzaneh
>

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 2:35 PM "Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro" <
> governance at lists.riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I did not like seeing the proposal for there merger between the IGC and
>> Best Bits brought up FIRST outside the IGC List as opposed to this being an
>> in-house discussion first. On the notion that there are some in IGC who are
>> also in Best Bits  and the same can be said for several other
>> organisations, however this does not necessarily call for mergers with
>> those organisations. What the Coordinators should be doing and soliciting
>> input from its members are in identifying key strategic forums that the IGC
>> can prepare to engage in.
>>

> No sorry, this is wrong. it was not outside of IGC/BestBits list. We had
> it on the agenda of the meeting (IGC and BestBits cc'd) and had the meeting
> as BestBits and IGC. Arsene can also share the call for merge with Bestbits
> list. Nothing was decided during the meeting and Arsene is just raising it
> on this list. ( I cc'd them already)

Sala: There was no mandate nor authorisation from the IGC to raise this in
discussions, unless I missed the memo, which could have happened.

> We have problems with not being focussed and coordinated as  much as we
> can especially at IGF. Balls get dropped and no one pick them up.

Sala:  The solution is not a Merger but better coordination from within the
IGC and other stakeholders.

> Jeremy has been asking for someone to take over the BestBits website and
> other management issues and no one volunteers. Obviously we don't have much
> resources to maintain both.

Sala: Not the IGC's problem! I speak for myself within the IGC space, I am
more than willing to help the coordinators of the IGC to focus their
submissions into the IGF spaces and other spaces and to do this we need a
strategic plan.

> Civil Society fragmentation is also very confusing to outsiders. We have
> to coordinate better and we can't do that by being fragmented.
>

>> Sala: The IGC needs to focus on being relevant and engaging strategically
and systematically.

> The IGC should be preparing input into the key global initiatives,
>>
>> (1) The Digital Cooperation. The four additional channels for input from
>> organizations and the public, which are summarized here:
>> https://digitalcooperation.org/get-involved/. The Secretariat team will
>> synthesize any written contributions that come in by Jan. 31th 2019.
>>
>> (2)Freedom of Expression Online. Given that we have IGC members who sit
>> on key panels such as the Information Democracy Commission launched within
>> the last quarter of this year, the IGC should have no problem submitting a
>> global study and report to some of these key bodies. Just a matter of
>> organising cross collaboration of individuals and agencies.
>>
>> (3) Input into the Open Consultations facilitated by the IGF Secretariat
>> that will take place in Geneva at the end of January, 2019.
>>
>> (4) Preparing for the WSIS in April, 2019 and to see if the IGC can host
>> some workshops or have a booth in Geneva.
>>
>> (5) Engagement in the review of the SDGs pertaining to the Internet in
>> New York and co-hosting workshops at the UN HQ in New York.
>>
>> (6) Co-hosting side events or sessions at the Technical Community
>> meetings. This can take place by involving and working with technical
>> community members who are part of the IGC and work towards engaging
>> valuable discussions.
>>

> In my opinion IGC should really go back to the mandate De was referring.
> We can see how we have evolved but it is all easy to say we need to
> contribute to all these initiatives and then no one does anything.
>

>> I would also like to see better participation from the IGC within the IGF
>> Intersessionals such as the Best Practice Forums and the Dynamic Coalitions
>> and effective engagement with the National and Regional IGFs. This
>> obviously calls for a robust review of the current IGC and its systems and
>> if we see that there is a need for the merger and subject to the broad
>> consensus of the IGC, I do not see why not.
>>

> IGC is a caucus of various busy civil society organizations and
> individuals. Being involved with so many IG  initiatives is not possible,
> especially on behalf of IGC. Our individual members are involved already
> with many of  the groups you suggested.
>
> Agree on number six, but not as side-event. We can have online meetings if
> we want to discuss issues with other stakeholder groups. We can also
> collaborate on submitting workshops and discussing the agenda of IG events.
> But if anyone wants to volunteer and get us somewhere in those forum, I
> think they can do so.
>
> I have volunteered to help IGC draft input to IGF for taking stock. I
> think we need to also ask the MAG members from Civil Society to update us
> and have a stronger interaction.
>
> Anyhow this thread is about the merge of BestBits with IGC and I will
> respond to Arsene's email with BestBits cc'd separately.

> [...]

*Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala T*

*P. O. Box 17862*

*Suva*

*Republic of Fiji*

*Cell: +679 7656770; *

*Home: +679 3362003*
*Twitter: @SalanietaT*

*"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the
greatest quality of the mind next to honour." Aristotle*