[governance] [bestbits] End of the year civil society meeting/ briefing

Mon Dec 17 07:50:40 EST 2018

Hi all,

Thanks Farzaneh for starting this thread and thanks everyone who took
the time to attend the call.

Thanks also for offering to give a hand of support with some task
within the IGC, we will take this discussion (as well as the one on
merging) to the IGC list soon for a more elaborate discussion.

And please do share the recording to give everyone an idea of what was
discussed.

I wanted to offer a quick reaction to Nadira and Michael's comments.

During the call, we did not discuss much about the CSCG which is a
coordination group where IGC is a member, alongside other members such
as APC, Just Net Coalition, Best Bits and the ICANN's NCSG.

About the merging question, this one will affect (if it happens), the
number of CSCG members but the CSCG itself cannot be merged with
anything (keeping this within the context). If BB and IGC merge, then
the CSCG will now have 4 members than 5.

R. Hill who is co chair of the CSCG said that once the merging
question is cleared, then only a discussion within CSCG's structure
and future will happen.

Bruna and I, as IGC co-cos agreed to start a discussion within the IGC
to explore the possibilities of merging IGC with BB.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Arsene

> He everyone,
>
> Thank you for this summary Farzi. I think Nadira makes a good point about
> looking into that. I'm it sure how each of these three organisations are
> structured, but perhaps we should consider consolidation of all three (if
> possible).
>
> Best,
> -Michael
>

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018, 11:09 PM Nadira Alaraj <nadira.araj at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Thank you Farzaneh for your briefing.
>>
>> I would like to comment on the merging consequences that it will affect
>> the structure of the
>> http://internetgov-cs.org or the CSCG. The objective of  "The CSCG has
>> co-operated with such bodies as international Telecomunication Union,
>> WSIS+10, UNDESA, Internet Governance Forum, CSTD Working Group on
>> Enhanced
>> Cooperation, Netmundial Conference and Intiative and 1Net Initiative to
>> nominate a diverse range of civil society members as speakers and members
>> of committees and working groups"
>>
>> I'm not sure if CSCG structure have been discussed or not. It would be
>> good to look into as well.
>> Best,
>> Nadira
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018, 23:10 farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> We had a good online meeting with up to 25 civil society members in
>>> attendance on 13 December. I have the recording I can share with you. (I
>>> have asked if sharing the recording was ok with the participants there
>>> was
>>> no objection, but I give it a couple of more days before I share the
>>> recording)
>>>
>>> There was a brief overview of what was done during last year in venues
>>> such as RightsCon etc.
>>> The issues that were discussed (as much as I remember):
>>>
>>> We also discussed the merge of IGC and BestBits. It was decided that the
>>> co-coordinator of BB and IGC discuss and give a couple of weeks deadline
>>> come to a conclusion on whether a merge would be good.
>>>
>>> the suggestion to merge comes from the fact that civil society IG
>>> activities (especially at IGF) became fragmented. We need to pool our
>>> resources and I think Jeremy mentioned that the reasons behind the
>>> creation
>>> of BB are not around anymore. I believe we should make a decision on
>>> that
>>> soon hopefully and start pooling our resources into one effort.
>>>
>>> The idea of mapping initiatives and focal points:
>>> To keep things going and be more active in 2019, it would be good to map
>>> initiatives (Collin Kurre from Article 19 has good ideas about that)
>>>
>>> I also suggested that we have focal points for each event or forum if we
>>> want to for example organize a session or be more coordinated in our
>>> efforts.
>>>
>>> I volunteered to help IGC with coordination for  IGF 2019, and civil
> [...]

------------------------
**Arsène Tungali* <http://about.me/ArseneTungali>*
Co-Founder & Executive Director, *Rudi international
<http://www.rudiinternational.org>*,
CEO,* Smart Services Sarl <https://www.smart-kitoko.com/>*,
Tel: +243 993810967
GPG: 523644A0