[governance] Infographic: Biometric ID systems & democracies

Chinmayi Arun chinmayiarun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 22:12:34 EDT 2017

Dear All,

This is to introduce an ongoing project which we hope will contribute to
the public debate on Aadhaar.

This work is in response to the argument that India should adopt a
biometric identification system because several other countries have done
it. We set out to examine which other countries had done this (starting
with commonwealth countries for now), whether they had data protection
safeguards and whether they were democracies.

Scroll.in was kind enough to build an infographic based on our dataset
which you can see here
<https://scroll.in/article/851282/are-countries-with-a-poor-democratic-record-more-likely-to-mandate-an-aadhaar-like-id>.
It appears that it is mostly countries with a poor democratic record that
use these systems.  Please do take a look.

This is ongoing work, so we would welcome additional information and ways
in which we can improve it. In the meantime we hope that it is of use to
you.

Best,

Chinmayi and Smitha

Chinmayi Arun | Executive Director
Centre for Communication Governance | National Law University, Delhi
<+91%2097177%2002630> | Fax: (+91) 11-280-34256 | www.ccgdelhi.org .
<http://goog_561379142/>www.nludelhi.ac.in | Twitter: @chinmayiarun
<https://twitter.com/CCGDelhi>