[governance] [bestbits] [Ext] Re: [DC] [IGFmaglist] IGF Best Practice Forum on Gender: Access

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 08:41:08 EDT 2017

Dear Jac,

While I support your work on behalf of women and girls I’m noticing a trend
which is very disturbing – that is the creation of “gender” as being
synonymous with “women/female”, at times almost acting as a euphemism.

Consider what you wrote yesterday:

the multiple forms of disparity and discrimination that the diversity of
women face

and what Michael wrote this morning:

To put it mildly, helping to empower women and girls with meaningful and
sustainable access is imperative to our future

Where are the men?

We seem to be being driven into an unfortunate case of divide and rule. A
huge theme for the internet is inclusion, and yet “gender” is excluding
approximately half of its population. So if we want to say “women” couldn’t
we just say “women”? Do we think it’s a bad word? And if we’re discussing
gender, couldn’t we include the men too? For example there might be
workshops considering things from both sides, offering a male perspective
as well. Are there men who facilitate internet access for women? Are there
men who actively block access? How is this done and what measures have been
implemented to get round the blocking? Are there men who are themselves
denied access to the internet?

The human race is diverse, in gender as well as in many other things.
Denying diversity has been demonstrated as an unsuccessful way to try to
solve problems, because the diversity persists no matter how much it is
denied.

What do other people think?

Best wishes from the Caribbean (where we have a concern about the
“marginalised male”)
Deirdre.

--
“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979