[governance] Second WGEC meeting26-27 January 2017, Geneva

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Fri Jan 27 04:34:56 EST 2017

Dear Arsene (apologies for cross posting)

Thanks for this. The first day went relatively well, if very slowly.

Follow @sgdickinson for updates.

We talked mostly about the 'characteristics' of enhanced cooperation.

Representing civil society in any unified way is not really possible as
not all the civil society participants share the same position. We do
share concerns and values and there is a good working spirit between
those of us who are here (Parminder Jeet Singh, Richard Hill, Carlos
Afonso, Lea Kaspar, Jovan Kurbalija and also observers such as Wolfgang
Kleinwaechter, Puneet Nagaraj and Marilia Maricel). We have not had a
civil society meeting of any kind yet.

That we have different positions (e.g. on what mechanisms are needed for
enhanced cooperation, and whether it is about cooperation between
governments, or between governments and other stakeholders) is also not
a bad thing in my view. And there are some views we have in common. But
we cannot say there is a united civil society position at this point.

Cooperation between governments is important.

Cooperation among all stakeholders is also important.

Civil society influence is essential.

Preventing capture from any one government or group of governments or
stakeholder group, e.g. business, is also important.

I am hoping that discussing how we see enhanced cooperation and how and
where governments should talk about internet-related public policy, even
if we have different emphases and proposals would be useful.

Last word ... Geneva is cold!

Anriette

anriette at apc.org
www.apc.org