[governance] ISOC-NY joins coalition of groups supporting the completion of the IANA Transition - hearing is Weds

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Sep 18 18:34:27 EDT 2016

To follow on from Milton's observations, and play politics:

Some people are saying...the fact that it is Senator Ted Cruz who is the leading opponent is actually great news for ICANN.

Since never mind the Democrats, Ted's fellow Republican Senators delight in rolling over, insulting and/or ignoring him​ whenever possible. Given his treatment of them in DC and on campaign trail.

With jockeying for presidential elections - in 2020  -kicking into high gear as of 11.9.2016,the  best chance for a speedy ICANN transition is Ted's colleagues desire to torpedo Ted self-promoting himself as nominal front runner for 2020, which his sticking it to Obama/bipartisan US Internet policy would help do if he actually succeeded.

So my take: it ain't over til it's over.

Who knows a lame duck session after the election, approving a new Supreme Court justice, might also surprise us all by jamming through other unfinished business with perhaps more bipartisan than party appeal, like ICANN, and TPP...so careful what you wish for! ; )

Under other election scenarios all bets are off, and sooner would have been at least done, if not necessarily done well...given ICANN board and staff prior intransigence/slow-walking the not-small matters of accountability and transparency reform.  NOT because of the time taken to eventually get those reforms through to an acceptable to community standard.

Lee