[governance] ISOC-NY joins coalition of groups supporting the completion of the IANA Transition - hearing is Weds

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Sep 16 09:32:27 EDT 2016

On Sep 16, 2016, at 9:07 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> John is correct in all particulars in this and his prior email.
>
> It's seemed quite unlikely to me that the transition would occur any time before, say, the third year of the next administration, ever since we started missing deadlines on our side in January of LAST year.
>
> Irrational optimists will be the death of us.

Indeed.  If we had delivered NTIA a plan for IANA stewardship transition by Jan 2015 (as
requested), then we would have had relatively high certainty of execution.  By not providing
a plan until 2016, we have pushed this into a US presidential election year - dramatically
increasing the difficulty of the task due to the political overtones of the US congress during
such periods.  NTIA (and the US administration in office) is doing everything possible to
proceed with the transition under the circumstances, but in the end they may not be given
the ability to proceed.

/John