[governance] EVENT: How do we keep the Internet free of government control?

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 14 21:20:24 EDT 2016

You're invited to a Legislative Branch Capacity Working Group event:
[http://i1.cmail19.com/ei/i/54/C8A/270/011904/csfinal/RStreetlogo-smalltransparent.png]<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-r/>

· YOU'RE INVITED ·
The Future of ICANN: What's Next for Internet Governance?

On Oct. 1, the National Telecommunications and Infrastructure Administration’s (NTIA) contract with the nonprofit Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) expires and the transition to a global multistakeholder governance model goes into effect. Unless, of course, Congress stops it.

Regardless of what happens on Oct. 1, the debate over the ICANN transition raises important questions about what it will take to keep the Internet truly free. These include: How do we prevent influential special interests or authoritarian governments from using ICANN as an online cop? Should we keep ICANN's mission limited to technical functions? What is the viability of alternative systems, such as blockchain-based domain servers?

As Congress grapples with this issue, they must consider the political and technological implications of the transition, and the diplomatic consequences of delaying it further or blocking it altogether.

Join us<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-y/> for lunch and a lively discussion of the future of internet governance, with an expert panel that includes:

***

Anne Hobson
Fellow, R Street Institute (Moderator)

Milton Mueller
Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology; Director, Internet Governance Project

Eli Dourado
Research Fellow & Technology Policy Program Director, Mercatus Center at George Mason University

Additional panelists TBA.

***

LUNCH WILL BE SERVED (TAYLOR GOURMET)

Click here to RSVP<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-j/>

WHERE

R Street Institute
1050 17th St NW #1150
Washington, DC

WHEN

Friday, September 30
At 11:45am

[http://i8.cmail19.com/static/eb/customise/13-the-blueprint-3/images/facebook.png]<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-t/>

[http://i10.cmail19.com/static/eb/customise/13-the-blueprint-3/images/twitter.png]<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-i/>

[http://i9.cmail19.com/static/eb/customise/13-the-blueprint-3/images/youtube.png]<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-d/>

R Street Institute
1050 17th St NW #1150
Washington, DC 20036
You are most likely receiving this email because you previously connected with someone on our team, attended one of our events, or signed up on our website. Follow the links below to adjust your communication preferences.

Like<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-fb-kihykll-kridudyuu-h/>

Tweet<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-tw-kihykll-kridudyuu-p/>

Forward<http://rstreetinstitute.forwardtomyfriend.com/i-kridudyuu-974216CC-kihykll-l-x>