[governance] TitaDYN

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Mon Oct 24 02:25:16 EDT 2016

Most people seem to have focussed on the attack origins with the Mirai botnet tool, which gets its power from common poor security practices in IoT tools (such as externally accessible default names and passwords, factory encoded back doors, etc). Changing the mindset of manufacturers of these devices to better deal with security consequences - in part, changing their mindset from manufacturers of devices to providers of ongoing operating system support, the way phone manufacturers have had to - is a real challenge. IoT security challenges that we’ve been warning about for years just suddenly got very real, and they are likely to get worse before they get better, DDoSing just the start.

Another issue is the poor implementation of BCP38, which wouldn’t solve large scale DDoS attacks like this but would substantially mitigate and enable better strategies to deal with them. This is a classic tragedy of commons situation - implementing BCP 38 for a major provider costs money, and they do not have strong incentives to do so individually, but it would help everyone if they did. How can we encourage major providers to take steps for better overall internet health in this way?

Cheers

David