[governance] TitaDYN

bzs at TheWorld.com bzs at TheWorld.com
Sun Oct 23 21:24:29 EDT 2016

On October 23, 2016 at 17:05 lehto.paul at gmail.com (Paul Lehto) wrote:
 > Domestically here in the USA, it is being reported that an "unprecedented new
 > method" of DDoS attack was used, utilizing the MIrai virus on thousands of
 > devices on the Internet of Things.

Numbers I have been seeing put estimations at "tens of millons" of
devices.

Thousands of devices would hardly be distinguishable from normal
traffic for these sites. Imagine how many devices speak to twitter (or
their outsourcers) at any given moment.

And that sort of quantitative difference implies a qualitative
difference, particularly in terms of the types of response possible
and the gauge of the sophistication of the attackers.

--
        -Barry Shein