[governance] Urgent: Few announcements before the CS MAG 2017 Nomination process

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 05:59:18 EST 2016

Hi

I think Peter has good questions there.

Also I'd like to address earlier messages on open/closed MAG renewal
process. As CSCG is now getting involved, I see the process as almost
a repeat of the IGF retreat procedures, where CSCG was involved but a
form was also created to send in names. CSCG did its process in a
public manner and I am in favor of supporting openness for
transparency. When the names get to UN Secretariat, the process is
then closed. The UN has a vetting process, it is good that this
exists, but yes, studying how to make this process open is a
challenge. The process of MAG renewal is not only for CS so other
stakeholders would have also to be willing to re-examine process and
this takes a coordination effort I'm not sure can be done.

It is good that CSCG is now getting involved with the CS process.

Thanks Arsene and Analia for publicly sharing the info of your intent
to run for MAG renewal and recusing yourselves from CSCG momentarily
for the sake of transparency.

Thanks Deirdre for volunteering to take over CSCG responsibilities temporarily.

Time is of the essence since MAG Renewal only goes until 16dec

Wisdom is someone who has fought CS battles many times but does have
the cap of government on the IGF MAG so, indeed, there is a conflict
when it comes to CSCG but I do hope this is a step away only from CSCG
coordination rather than being a collaborator with civil society as
whole. Civil society needs those willing to collaborate as we are all
volunteers, sometimes overstretched ones.

Best

Renata