[governance] IGF Planning Retreat

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri May 27 04:36:15 EDT 2016

Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:
> Boycott may not sound constructive. But, I see good reason to push
> this. Sending CS reps, fine. BUT they should try to open the door
> first and foremost.
> Do that inside the room, open the door from inside. Otherwise, don't
> participate.

Just a quick note on CSCG procedures:

So far none of the CSCG member networks/coalitions have announced that
for reasons of the various concerns have been raised about the proposed
IGF planning retreat, they wish that no CSCG selection process should be
held. If this situation changes, that could potentially lead to no CSCG
selection / endorsement process taking place. For details see point 2
in http://internetgov-cs.org/procedures .

There is so far nothing explicit in the CSCG procedures about dealing
with other modes of boycott or threats thereof. For example, if it is
desired that under certain circumstances (about which we don't yet
know whether they will come to pass) the selected CS reps should
refuse to participate, that IMO should if possible be clearly agreed
with the candidates before they get nominated.

The first step to any such stance would IMO be for e.g. IGC to take a
clear stance on what they would like CSCG's stance to be in that regard.

Greetings,
Norbert