AW: [governance] IGF Planning Retreat

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Wed May 25 05:50:40 EDT 2016

1+ to Bill.

Access, Openess and Transparency are key elements of any multistakeholder process. But this case raises also the question of accountability. Who is in charge for the whole IGF? In my understanding it is the MAG which represents the various stakeholder groups. But to whom is the MAG accountable? To the governments of the UN member states? Or to the various IGF communities, loosely organized in the stakeholder groups which facilitate the nominations? Probably the planned UNDESA meeting could kick-start a process on a MAG transition away from UN stewardship to a independent and self-sustainable bottum up and community driven process where governments are involved as an important stakeholder but have to "share" decisions making with other stakeholders. The WSIS +10 Outcome document has reiterated the WGIG/WSIS Definition on Internet Governance which includes the concept of "sharing". Probably we move now towards a "moment of truth". I fully support Bill´s idea to write a letter to UNDESA which would refer to all the basic principles and procedures for a bottom up multistakeholder process.  What we need in the IGF world now is an "empowered community".

Wolfgang