[governance] Now business wants to lead policy making

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Fri May 13 14:02:02 EDT 2016

Hi,

If I may chime in with a few words of support for Milton's query and a link, the truth is most global trade these days is digital services.

Trade in goods is so 19th century; ok maybe 20th. Yeah yeah I know I am over-simplifying but still.

And what a coincidence, the rapid growth in trade in services over past decades mirrors the growth of the global Internet; which is governed by multi-stakeholder processes, more or less.

Indeed, the criticism that governments are doing something wrong doing what they have always done - negotiating trade treaties in secret, because duh - is also a call for greater transparency from - civil society and other stakeholders.

Right?

Anyway, don't take my word for it, instead think about this McKninsey report: http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/strategy-and-corporate-finance/our-insights/global-flows-in-a-digital-age

Global  flows opens virtual doors for tiny firms and civil society as well as the bigs.

In that context, yeah maybe multi-stakeholdering trade talks might be a good idea compared to the present practices which are not well-loved by Trump-ettes nor critics feeling the Bern, to put it in US political context.  Even Hillary is pretending she had no idea what TTP and TTIP were about. We are all shocked! ; )

So if not government to government business as usual, then what?

Yeah isolationism worked so well in past. Not.

Lee