[governance] Now business wants to lead policy making

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri May 13 12:00:50 EDT 2016

Parminder:
I am curious about your response to this initiative. I know that in your world, anything that a business does is bad, but please tell me this:

Many people have complained about the WTO and other government-government trade negotiations because they are closed to other stakeholders and not transparent. It appears that Ma is proposing a departure from that. The WeTP would have business, "governments and NGOs and other organisations participating.” Of course, one would have to know more about the terms and conditions of "participation" but I see a potential for movement forward rather than backwards.  Please tell us why this is worse than the status quo?

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology