[governance] (RIghtsCon) Roundtable on Online Hate Speech (Tomorrow- 9 am)

Sarvjeet Singh sarvjeet.singh at nludelhi.ac.in
Wed Mar 30 17:46:01 EDT 2016

Dear All,

We would like to invite you to our Roundtable on *‘Online Hate Speech:
Identification & Strategies
<http://rightscon.sched.org/mobile/#session:a28f3549eb7c4ae3a753ecddd18899d9>’*
 on *31st March* 2016 (tomorrow) from* 9:00 am - 10.15 am *at *the
Nest* (*Conference
Room - 2 on the First Floor)*. Dr. Rob Faris, Research Director of the
Berkman Centre for Internet & Society at Harvard University will moderate
the session.

This is an event that we are co-hosting with the Berkman Center for
Internet and Society at Harvard University, the Dangerous Speech Project
and the Global Network Initiative. It is meant to inform a three-year
project on Online Hate Speech that the Berkman Center is working on with
the Centre for Communication Governance.

Our overall hopes for the session are to generate ideas and initiatives
that we may collectively work on and to reveal areas of consensus and
contention around this issue.

Additional details about the event including the schedule and the list of
speakers are provided at the end of the email.

If you have any questions please do let us know. We hope that many of you
will join us tomorrow morning.

Best,

Sarvjeet

*A ROUNDTABLE ON*

*Online Hate Speech: Identification & Strategies*

9:00 am – 10.15 am, 31st March 2016

*at*

The Nest (Conference Room- 2)

*organised by*

*Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University*

*Centre for Communication Governance at National Law University, Delhi*

*Dangerous Speech Project*

*Global Network Initiative*

*Moderator**:* *Dr. Rob Faris**, Research Director, Berkman Center for
Internet & Society at Harvard University*

*Schedule*

*Timings*

*Programme*

9.00 am - 9.10 am

Introductory Remarks

9.10 am - 9.50 am

Ideas & Proposals from the Speakers

9.50 am - 10.15 am

Discussion & Inputs from the audience

*Confirmed Speakers*

·       Andrew Puddephatt, Executive Director, Global Partners Digital

·       Arturo J. Carrillo, Professor of Law, The George Washington
University Law School

·    Camille François, Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at
Harvard University

·  Chinmayi Arun, Executive Director, Centre for Communication Governance
at National Law University, Delhi & Faculty Associate, Berkman Center for
Internet & Society at Harvard University

·      Daphne Keller, Director, Intermediary Liability at the Stanford
Center for Internet and Society

·  Frank Le Rue, Assistant Director-General Communication and Information
at UNESCO & former UN Special Rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of
the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression

·    Gayatri Khandhadai, Project Coordinator - IMPACT, Association for
Progressive Communications

·     Gigi Louisa Essendi, Program Officer, Gay and Lesbian Coalition of
Kenya

·       Jillian York, Director- International Freedom of Expression,
Electronic Frontier Foundation

·    Katitza Rodriguez, International Rights Director, Electronic Frontier
Foundation

·        Mark Stephens, Independent Board Chair, Global Network Initiative

·        Nani Jansen, Legal Director, Media Legal Defence Initiative

·        KS Park, Director, Open Net, Korea

·        Raman Jit Singh Chima, Policy Director, Access Now

·      Susan Benesch, Director of the Dangerous Speech Project & Faculty
Associate, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University