[governance] Statement on Sexual Harassment at ICANN 55

nigidaad at gmail.com nigidaad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:49:40 EDT 2016

Hi Sala and others,

Due process is absolutely necessary and lawyers should be involved when such an incident happens. However, if the organisation has lawyers, and the victims can't afford one, then it should become part of the guidelines to provide a lawyer solely for the victim who is not connected to the organisation or the accused. A legal fund should be readily available for victims to hire lawyers of their choice.

May I politely add here that the comparison to the recent issues at JNU cannot serve as a valid analogy to discuss this? Being charged for treason is very different from sexualised violence. The entire dynamics of sexualised violence are essentially connected to patriarchal norms; whereas treason is connected to the paternalistic state flexing its patriarchal muscles, it is still better to compare this issue to case studies or incidents of sexualised violence.

In house trials, within the organisations, are a bad idea so avoid creating a legal due process and involve the law IF the victim is willing to. No one should demand survivor be forced to report or keep the proceedings confidential, it's a sole prerogative of a survivor. For example, in Pakistan, women will hesitate to report unless they have support especially from their families. To say a woman hasn't reported without taking into considerations these cultural realities is insensitive and provides impunity to harassers.

The conviction rate for rape, for example, is zero for adult women. Very few women can provide solid evidence of rape. In Pakistan, a two finger test to determine virginity is part of the rape test. In essence, women are raped by the medical examiner again after being raped to check if they were "pure". Men will target women who they know are not virgins e.g. divorced women because they know they will get away with rape.

Any rhetoric that demands that the victim prove harassment reinforces the problem and leads to blaming the victim. Much harassment is subtle and not noticed by others. At conferences, there is "accidental" touching, staring that others may not notice, using harsh words and tones out of sight of others. Serial harassers excel at these tactics. They are aware of them. Sadly, most victims are not aware of them and if they are told they should not report unless they can "prove" a series of bad incidents occurred, then we're entering very murky territory and are back to reinforcing the problem. For example, if a woman is feeling harassed by her boss, most times, witnesses will not side with her or speak up for her knowing they could lose their jobs. Many will hesitate to report unless they find another job or will not speak up out of fear of someone more powerful than her.

We absolutely must discuss power dynamics and the psychology of abuse. In fact, training on this issue alone is a much better idea than training on gender generically. Too much of what is heard in discussions reinforces norms such as "he said/she said" which then leads to assumptions about women being hysterical, difficult and "women scorned" who are reporting after being in consensual relationships. Serial harassers know how to psychologically manipulate women to make it look like they've consented to their own oppression. This, too, shouldn't be acceptable.

If we want to make a sincere effort to really fix this problem then we absolutely must trust women when they come forth instead of putting her in a position where she will hesitate to do so unless she has solid evidence of harassment. We also need to reassure the following: that she will be listened to with compassion and sensitivity, that she will supported through the process, that she will be given reassurance that her accuser will not eventually sue her for defamation, and that she will not be demeaned or blamed.

Undoing this culture of harassment, which is intrinsically tied to rape culture and power, will necessarily take years. While this is an urgent issue, we should learn from history and realise that simply making policies without action on principles isn't productive and don't solve problems. The feminist mantra of "the personal is political" must also be applied in every organisation. It becomes easy to point fingers at others unless there is some collective responsibility.

Hence, I caution that unless we have a well thought out process, we will not be able to eliminate this culture. We could end up with an "us vs them" outlook unless we find a way to address this collectively and sincerely. We should aim for a mind shift which should leads to a culture where perpetrators do not even think of harassing women instead of feeling fear of repercussions if they do.

Best,
Nighat Dad
Digital Rights Foundation

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Nighat Dad <nigidaad at gmail.com>wrote:
> This is setting a dialogue in IG spaces.

Sent from my iPhone