[governance] [bestbits] CIS' Statement on Sexual Harassment at ICANN55

Lorena Jaume-Palasi lorena at collaboratory.de
Tue Mar 22 15:17:19 EDT 2016

Dear all,
I think RIPE NCC drafted last year an anti-harassment policy. They
certainly could contribute with best practices.
Cheers
Lorena

> Dear all,
>
> Copying the Gender DC mailing list and also the 2 coordinators into this
> conversation. Like in Ms Padmini's statement, when this was raised at
> the last IGF during the Gender DC workshop, other participants shared
> their experience of sexual harassment. So discussing and tackling this
> issue seriously at esp a space on IG process and policy conversations is
> critical. Contributes significantly to creating an inclusive,
> respectful, non-discriminatory and diverse participatory environment.
>
> I think the DC is in the process of drafting a proposed policy to be
> taken up at the upcoming IGF. Would be great to see initiatives build
> and inform each other, and to also share best practices. There has been
> many initiatives and models in different contexts that can be drawn from
> - events, organisational, country specific, space/platform etc. Fully
> support the idea of a WG in ICANN.
>
> Best regards,
> jac
>

> ---------------------------------
> Jac sm Kee
> Manager, Women's Rights Programme
> Association for Progressive Communications
> www.apc.org | www.takebackthetech.net | erotics.apc.org
> Jitsi: jacsmk | Skype: jacsmk | Twitter: @jhybe
>
> On 22/03/2016 00:15, Nadira Alaraj wrote:
> > Dear all
> > I commend Ms. Padmini Baruah courage for bringing this issue to ICANN
> > and to the civil society public forums.
> > The discussion here raises a questions and I would like to direct this
> > to those senior with ICANN.
> > How we can create a working group to discuss this issue under ICANN
> > umbrella? It is important the recommendations of this group to be
> > instituted into ICANN.
> > Which body of ICANN will grant the official existence of this group and
> > what constituency it will work?
> > Hoping these answers will bring the existence of this working group and
> > follow the pattern of button up approach in decision making of ICANN and
> > to follow with the recommendations of Padmini to make them happen.
> > Best wishes,
> > Nadira Alaraj
> >
> > On Mar 21, 2016 6:32 PM, <nigidaad at gmail.com
> > <mailto:nigidaad at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     First of all, I would like to say I think that Ms Baruah is an
> >     incredibly brave woman for not only making her story public, but
> >     also for not giving up despite being discouraged to report the
> >     incident and CIS for issuing a statement on rather ignored issue
> >     within our own circles. I personally know many women who don’t
> >     report harassment because there is a lack of support and significant
> >     discouragement. Unfortunately, this leads to silencing and harassers
> >     are thus granted impunity.
> >
> >     Ms Baruah’s statement betrays another reality that women in this
> >     field have to live with if they wish to continue working: her
> >     harasser was granted access to her space where he was allowed to
> [...]

Lorena Jaume-Palasí ∙ Coordinator, Global Internet Governance Arbeitsgruppe

Internet & Gesellschaft Co:llaboratory e.V.

www.intgovforum.de ∙ www.collaboratory.de ∙ Newsletter
<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=collaboratory&loc=de_DE> ∙
 Facebook <http://goo.gl/eJVZn> ∙ Twitter <http://goo.gl/sUFM5> ∙ Youtube
<http://www.youtube.com/user/CollaboratoryVideo?feature=CCAQwRs%3D>