[governance] Freak changes on fixed broadband in Brazil

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Mar 16 14:42:43 EDT 2016

Joao,

This (US-focused)  website may be of interest : http://stopthecap.com/

In general, as others have noted hard caps are not popular with consumers especially on fixed broadband for which an economic justification is weak and instead companies trying to lock in consumers for their own streaming services which are offered cap-free is suspected; or alternatively seeking to force heavy users to buy more bandwidth/higher speeds.  Meaning, yeah of course it's about the money.

In US some providers like Time-Warner Cable which had tried to introduce caps have backed off after consumer complaints; perhaps not coincidentally TWC is awaiting FCC approval of its 3-way merger with Charter and Brighthouse Networks.  But others persist including Comcast, AT&T and Verizon.   2 more recent links on the issue in the US context:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/candace-clement/destroy-your-data-caps_b_9252582.html

http://www.techhive.com/article/3027161/streaming-media/why-cord-cutters-shouldn-t-live-in-fear-of-broadband-data-caps.html​

Good luck with your research!

Lee