[governance] CSTD Working Group on Enhanced cooperation

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Sun Mar 13 15:21:11 EDT 2016

Dear all

I am not asking for endorsement as it is too late, but just sharing that
I have put my name forward within the APC network.

This is a very important working group in my view, and one that can be
used to to talk about the role of government in internet governance -
what it should be and what it need not be - one of the conversations
that seems to always be either truncated, or avoided. I believe that
having this conversation, and recognising that there is a role for
government and that there is a need for conversation among them does not
imply abandoning multistakeholder approaches.

Talking about governments role and about how they interact with one
another and about how regulation can counter monopolies without
encroaching on rights should and could contribute to creating more
inclusive (of nonstate actors) processes at national level and a more
open and public internet.

The previous group did make progress but also struggled to really break
new ground. Now that the WSIS+10 review has happened, and the IGF has
been renewed, and the IANA transition is in process, I think it will  be
easier to engage in constructive and critical discussion.

This group has the potential to develop a common understanding of
principles for "enhanced" or "effective" cooperation, and come up with
proposals for mechanisms that can complement and reinforce existing
processes.

Best

Anriette Esterhuysen
APC