AW: [governance] [NCSG-Discuss] Update: CSCG & IGF Planning Retreat

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Jun 6 05:00:35 EDT 2016

1+ to Bill.

Yes indeed, it helps to understand the process and its special history.

We should not forget that the "Multistakeholder Approach" is a (rather radical) innovation in global policy making and decision taking. The approach was desigend and pushed forward by a small goup of Internet people within the frameworks of IETF and ICANN in the 1990s and introduced into the UNICTTF and WSIS in the early 2000s. It is seen now as a success and the better (only?) way to handle the new complexities of the Internet Age.

But now, when Internet policies penetrates all spheres of the political discussions in areas like security, trade and human rights we see a "clash of cultures" where the innovative open, transparent and bottom up policy making procedures clash with the traditional top down approaches and deal makings behind closed doorsof the politcal Establishment. A lot of "old professionals" in the world of policy making trust what they know and mistrust new approaches. We see this in the US Congress, where senators in the IANA Transition are asking critical questions full of mistrust about the multistakeholder model and prefer the "traditional oversight" by a known politcal players as the US government. We see this in the G 7 where the leaders of the industrial world give lip service to the multistakeholder principle but produce documents, drafted by governmental sherpas behind closed doors without any call for public input and an opportunity for public comment. And we see this in the UN.

My understanding is that UNDESA has no bad intentions or does not plan a "conspiracy" against the IGF. They are just doing their "business as usual". And they have not yet understood that the 21st century is different from the 20th century. They have not yet understood that the multistakeholder model is not based on the principle of national sovereignty of UN member states but on principles like openess, transparency, equal Access for all governmental and non-governmental stakeholderrs, bottom up policy development, rough consenus and running code.

Insofar we should use the opportunity to comment on the planned IGF retreat by explaining more in detail what we (NCUC, civil society) expect from a multistakeholder process. There are good references in the WSIS +10 document, so we can take them by their own words and lead them into the new world of open and transparent policy making mechanisms.

Wolfgang

BTW, I have raised this issue already two years ago here:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140818_sailing_backwards_wsis_10_avoids_entering_unchartered_territory/