[governance] [JNC - Forum] On the death of neo-liberalism

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:10:14 EDT 2016

Clearly there was a need in the telecom sector to clear out the cobwebs (and the corruption) particularly given the technology innovation which was happening at the time.

However, the question is whether there was the need for the cookie-cutter neo-liberal approach to how it would be done and particularly how the sometimes nascent, sometimes real social benefits of telecom might be translated from the PTT era to the liberalized telecom era.

I've never seen this documented (a MA or Ph.D. topic for someone?) but it has been quite clear based on my direct experience with post PTT telecom policies in perhaps a dozen countries that the policy apparatus implemented at the insistence of the World Bank was directly of the A4AI persuasion <https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2016/04/05/the-a4ai-discussion-a-summation/>  i.e. a neo-liberal package wrapped up in high-faluttin social contribution rhetoric.

The reality is that virtually all of the LDC's with which I had contact were effectively tied up in knots because of the way the privatization policies had been written (presumably by one WB designated law/consulting firm).  In every instance a portion of telecom revenues (sometimes gross sometimes (after convoluted calculations) net) were directed to be made available for extending telecom service -- as designated Universal Service programs.  However, these policies were written in such a way that these designated revenues rather than being made available to the state for utilization for this purpose were rather defined as revenues of the telco's which they were graciously making available for social benefit under state direction.  What that has meant in practice is that the telco's have a veto on how this money is spent even though they have no knowledge or interest in achieving any such social benefits.  Note that we are talking about very large sums of money into the $hundreds of millions and even low billions USD in some cases.

The result of this neo-liberalized mess is that in many cases the money cannot even be spent, or if spent is being spent on useless marketing efforts as defined by the telcos, or spent to subsidize additional infrastructure where either no additional infrastructure is necessary or where it simply is a substitute for a commercially justifiable infrastructure.

I can't answer whether or how much "a competitive market economy has ... to offer for development" but I do know that the activities of a neo-lib dominated WB made precious little contribution to resolving issues of digital exclusion in much of the LDC world through its imposed privatization program.