[governance] [JNC - Forum] On the death of neo-liberalism

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Jun 1 06:32:06 EDT 2016

Agree completely Roberto.

Market-fundamentalist approaches to development and planning will stay
around for a long time. They fit so well with the culture of corruption
and focus on personal gain that many governments are practicing that it
will be really hard to get rid of this approach - even if it is not
explictly part of policy.

Structural adjustment which has been "dead" as far as international
financial institutions are concern is also still alive and well.

On the other hand, I don't agree with Michael Gurstein when he says:

> Soon the only place it will be surviving is in Internet Governance
among the techies, corps and particularly the fellow travelling NGO's.>

:)

Anriette

On 01/06/2016 11:28, Roberto Bissio wrote:
> oi Carlos!  Thanks for that comment. Neoliberalism is dead in theory,
> now that even the best IMF economists disown it, but alive and kicking
> in practice... just like slavery.
>
> abraƧao,
> Roberto
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Carlos Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca
> <mailto:ca at cafonso.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Just lurking in the lists lately, but I cannot help but comment on this
>     view. We are going through a putsch in Brazil by a powerful right-wing
>     coalition (big media, judiciary including the supreme court, right-wing
>     parties dominating congress) which has already succeeded in suspending
>     the current president (Mrs Rousseff) and is hastily carrying out a fully
>     neoliberal program, running against time (as Rousseff might return in
>     about 2 months) to cancel a large list of government-funded social
>     programs and giving priority to the demands of the private sector --
>     including a massive privatization of key state companies and the opening
>     of strategic resources of pre-salt oil deposits to foreign companies. It
>     is basically as if Brazil had suddenly signed the TPP while not even
>     being in the Pacific...
>
>     If neoliberalism is dead, it is elsewhere, not here.
>
>     fraternal regards
>
>     --c.a.
>
>     On 31/05/2016 21:59, Michael Gurstein wrote:
>     >
>     http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/31/witnessing-death-neolib
>     > eralism-imf-economists?CMP=share_btn_tw
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Soon the only place it will be surviving is in Internet Governance among the
>     > techies, corps and particularly the fellow travelling NGO's.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > M
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > ____________________________________________________________
>     > You received this message as a subscriber on the list:
>     >      governance at lists.igcaucus.org
>     <mailto:governance at lists.igcaucus.org>
>     > To be removed from the list, visit:
>     >
>     > For all other list information and functions, see:
>     >      http://lists.igcaucus.org/info/governance
>     > To edit your profile and to find the IGC's charter, see:
>     >      http://www.igcaucus.org/
>     >
>     > Translate this email: http://translate.google.com/translate_t
>     >

Anriette Esterhuysen
Executive Director
Association for Progressive Communications
anriette at apc.org
www.apc.org
IM: ae_apc