[governance] Fwd: WSIS Forum 2016 -Official submission deadline 30 January

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 20:46:46 EST 2016

So perhaps we need a reminder? See below for what civil society agreed
about 13 years ago.

This year Portuguese was added to the Spanish and English already
facilitated by translation at the LACIGF. Next year maybe French as well?
This is a huge issue, but more likely to be solved by a continuing
succession of very small steps coupled with a lot of good will. India after
all has 15 official languages as well as several hundred that are
"unofficial".

"Shaping InformationSocieties for HumanNeeds" Civil Society Declaration to
the World Summit on the Information Society WSIS Civil Society Plenary
Geneva, 8 December 2003

"information and communication societies that are people-centred, inclusive
and equitable. Societies in which everyone can freely create, access,
utilise, share and disseminate information and knowledge, so that
individuals, communities and peoples are empowered to improve their quality
of life and to achieve their full potential. Societies founded on the
principles of social, political, and economic justice, and peoples' full
participation and empowerment, and thus societies that truly address the
key development challenges facing the world today.
Building such societies implies involving individuals in their capacity as
citizens, as well as their organisations and communities, as participants
and decision-makers in shaping frameworks, policies and governing
mechanisms. This means creating an enabling environment for the engagement
and commitment of all generations, both women and men, and ensuring the
involvement of diverse social and linguistic groups, cultures and peoples,
rural and urban populations without exclusion.
2.3.1.2 Language Plurality of languages is at the core of vibrant
information and communication societies. ICTs can be applied to bridge
cultural and linguistic divides, given the right priorities. In the past,
ICT development has too often reinforced inequalities, such as dominance of
roman letter based languages (especially English) and marginalization of
local, regional and minority languages. Priority should be given in ICT
research and development to overcoming barriers and addressing inequalities
between languages and cultures."

https://www.itu.int/net/wsis/docs/geneva/civil-society-declaration.pdf

On 8 February 2016 at 18:44, <jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I'd like to notice that the contribution forms are exclusively in English.
> That means that only English speaking (and wriiting) people can valuably
> submit their views and proposals.
>

> And nobody on the CS lists here is protesting against this scandalous
> situation. BTW, isn't cultural and linguistic one of the WSIS goals. OK, I
> know, these goals are not compulsory for the Chief Organisator : the ITU.
>

> A large part of CS orgs has lost its ideas and ideals since the WSIS
> inception ... so far away !
>

> A"m sad
>

> Jean-Louis Fullsack
>

> > Message du 08/02/16 22:47
> > De : "Renata Aquino Ribeiro" <raquino at gmail.com>
> > A : "Internet Governance" <governance at lists.igcaucus.org>, "Baudouin
> Schombe" <baudouin.schombe at gmail.com>
> > Copie à : "Anja Kovacs" <anja at internetdemocracy.in>, "&lt,
> bestbits at lists.bestbits.net&gt," <bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>
> > Objet : Re: [governance] Fwd: WSIS Forum 2016 -Official submission
> deadline 30 January
>

> Hi
> >

> Today is the last day of submission (extended deadline)
> >
> The form is now saving info even if you close the window and there's a
> print form button.
> >
> I've submitted some answers and also mentioned Bestbits and IGC as
> references in internet governance action efforts
> >

> Regards
> >

> Renata
> >

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 6:07 AM, Baudouin Schombe <
> baudouin.schombe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

>> Hello Anja,
>> >

>> The form on the site only accepts one proposal. I thought it was
>> possible to make a second proposal but unfortunately this is not
>> feasible.

>>> Dear all,
>>> >

>>> The ITU is making some genuine efforts this year to try and improve the
>>> value of the WSIS Forum, including through shaking up the format a bit.
>>> They're very keen to hear the suggestions from civil society as well. Do
>>> please consider making a contribution. It seems that even if it comes a day
>>> or two late, it can still be considered.
>>> >

>>> For more information, please see the message below.
>>> >

>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>> >
>>> Anja

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979