[governance] Fwd: [IP] Full letter ® to Icann from Sen Cruz ...

bzs at world.std.com bzs at world.std.com
Fri Feb 5 14:48:57 EST 2016

I wonder if Senator Cruz is aware that Fadi's tenure at ICANN can be
measured in days (ok, a month or so)?

What I think is more interesting to examine is whether there is a
moral or political or diplomatic imperative not to engage with
organizations associated with humans rights violations of varying
degree.

Particularly as a default assumption as this letter implies rather
than as the result of some transparent process with public statement.

It often comes up vis a vis meeting venues as one example.

  Why is thus-and-such organization having a meeting located in
  (country with IMO significant human rights issues?!?!)

I'm not certain about this easy leap and whether or not engagement may
be preferable to boycott.

P.S. Yes I realize Senator Cruz is almost certainly grandstanding for
some publicity to help his current presidential run but that's besides
the point even if it is the point.

--
        -Barry Shein