[governance] ICANN Accountability blog series

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Feb 3 17:58:50 EST 2016

On 02/02/2016 10:31 PM, Aarti Bhavana wrote:

> The Centre for Communication Governance (CCG) has started a blog series
> on the recent developments in the ICANN Accountability process that is
> crucial to the IANA Transition

With regard to the initial blog item on the matter of inspection rights.

Having had a rather intense experience exercising this right when I was
on ICANN's board of directors I am surprised at the absence of some
quite important matters.

First there is the question of what the person/body making the
inspection can do with the information viewed.  Board members have
powers regarding the inspected materials that are limited primarily by
their fiduciary duties.  This is an important matter.

Second, there is much about corporate behaviour that is not documentary
- for example, it is important that whether and how an organization
actually practices what it has written.

Third, there is much that requires considerable analysis.  For financial
data this tends to mean that data be available in electronic form so
that it maybe examined and analysed with electronic tools.  Simple
eyeball access is inadequate.

Fourth is the ability to bring in third party experts (such as forensic
accountants, economists, and lawyers) to analyze the data.  And with
regard to third parties is the question of who controls maters of
confidentiality and who has the authority over that third party.

Fifth is the question of retention of the materials that have been
inspected.

Sixth is the question of costs.  None of this stuff is without cost.
Who pays?

As a an attorney in California, particularly one who has been on ICANN's
board and one who has exercised these powers of inspection I am not at
all confident that these measures are consistent with the California law
that governs public-benefit/non-profit corporations.

	--karl--