[governance] Towards true remote participation (was Re: Next IGF in Geneva? How about Berlin?)

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Tue Dec 13 13:07:26 EST 2016

On 12/12/16 6:02 pm, Embley, Charity G wrote:

> I just wanted to add something on the on-going conversation about
> remote participation.  I'm going out on a limb and assume that the
> concept of remote participation that you all were referring to is in
> relation to remote hubs and how distant participants (who are unable
> to attend IGF meetings)  would be able to remotely attend the
> meetings.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken on this assumption.
>  Anyways, a couple of years ago, Marilia Maciel, Raquel Gatto, Rafik
> D, Ginger P and myself were part of the IGF Remote Participation
> Working Group (If I might have forgotten anybody - my apologies) and
> the goal was to make remote participation accessible.  The remote hubs
> were established and even funded in some countries as an outreach
> initiative.  We do have a Facebook page called IGF Remote
> Participation Working Group. You can search it. The page will kind of
> give you an overview and there are initiatives on remote participation
> that have been established since 2010. It has not been updated since
> 2011and I still get notifications.  But if it is something that you
> would like to continue working on, that should not be a problem,
> especially if Ginger is also taking a lead on it.

Even before that there was an Online Collaboration Dynamic Coalition
that I ran for a while, which hosted the former IGF Community Site back
when the official IGF website was much worse than it is now.  Before the
secretariat adopted Sched, it was the only place where you could get a
feed of the IGF events on your computer or phone, and also hosted
mailing lists for DCs and some other resources.  Some historical
materials about it are here:
http://bestbits.net/wiki/main/fluid-working-groups/igf-online-collaboration-dynamic-coalition-defunct/.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122