[governance] Towards true remote participation (was Re: Next IGF in Geneva? How about Berlin?)

Embley, Charity G charity.g.embley at ttu.edu
Mon Dec 12 21:02:42 EST 2016

Hi Renata,

I just wanted to add something on the on-going conversation about remote participation.  I'm going out on a limb and assume that the concept of remote participation that you all were referring to is in relation to remote hubs and how distant participants (who are unable to attend IGF meetings)  would be able to remotely attend the meetings.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken on this assumption.  Anyways, a couple of years ago, Marilia Maciel, Raquel Gatto, Rafik D, Ginger P and myself were part of the IGF Remote Participation Working Group (If I might have forgotten anybody - my apologies) and the goal was to make remote participation accessible.  The remote hubs were established and even funded in some countries as an outreach initiative.  We do have a Facebook page called IGF Remote Participation Working Group. You can search it. The page will kind of give you an overview and there are initiatives on remote participation that have been established since 2010. It has not been updated since 2011and I still get notifications.  But if it is something that you would like to continue working on, that should not be a problem, especially if Ginger is also taking a lead on it.

Thanks!

Charity Gamboa Embley, M.Ed
PhD Curriculum & Instruction: Language, Diversity and Literacy|   College of Education| MS 1071
Texas Tech University| 3008 18th Street, Lubbock, TX 79409-1071

[1461939201588_PastedImage]