[governance] Nomination for civil society representative to IGF MAG

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Dec 8 19:55:00 EST 2016

(Cc to IGC's governance list as per IGC policy)

Richard,

in view of having been endorsed by CSCG for an appointment to the MAG
during the last round, but then not actually having been appointed by
the UN "blackbox", I consider it appropriate to be a bit stubborn and
try again.

See below for the required information.

Greetings,
Norbert

> Candidates must provide the following information, which is required
> to fill in the IGF nomination form:
>
> Surname

Bollow

> First Name

Norbert

> Job Title

co-convenor

> Organization

Just Net Coalition

> City of Residence

GrĂ¼t (Gossau ZH)

> Country of Residence

Switzerland

> Nationality

Germany

nb at bollow.ch

> Contact Telephone number, including the country code

+41 44 972 20 59

> Justification for the nomination, providing relevant background
> information (no more than 250 words)

Norbert has a background in mathematics, physics and IT, and he also
has many years of experience in civil society activism on a wide range
of information society topics including advocacy for human rights and
Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). He has participated in the
consultations that preceded the first IGF and he has since then
participated in many IGFs, including several times as a workshop
organizer. Norbert is a member and past co-coordinator of the Civil
Society Internet Governance Caucus (IGC). He currently serves as
president of Digital Society Switzerland, a human rights and consumer
protection NGO addressing digital topics, see
https://digitale-gesellschaft.ch/ (website in German). He also serves
as co-convenor of the Just Net Coalition http://JustNetCoalition.org/ ,
an international civil society coalition with a focus on demands that
the Internet must advance human rights and social justice, and that
Internet governance must be truly democratic. The Just Net Coalition
has among its members more than 30 organizations, some of them
themselves networks, see http://justnetcoalition.org/jnc-members .

If appointed to the MAG, Norbert will focus on the following:
* liaising with civil society in the European part of WEOG, and
* working towards enabling the IGF to become a venue where discourses
take place. (Discourse is a form of discussion in which assertions can
be challenged an invalidated, and where it is assured that points which
are valid and relevant become part of the output document.)