[governance] my statement at the opening session

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Dec 6 21:10:03 EST 2016

Hit send too soon so let me explain

1. You talk about the Internet reducing local autonomy or local governance / sovereignty- but this is merely one of several cross border issues for which a sufficient body of precedent already exists.

2. You talk about manipulation of fake news influencing elections but that has actually been on both sides of the political spectrum and an unfortunate fact of life connected with media of any sort.   Unscrupulous politicians have used it as a tool for centuries before there was an Internet and it has cost elections even before.   I will only say that it requires operators of media as well as social media to work to suppress fake news - but where do you draw the line?   Outright fake? Or a leftist or right wing advocacy site that supposedly provides news, that is too hasty with a story that it's reporter didn't fact check?  Beware of being too hasty in what you're asking for.

3. Social movements imagining an alternate internet?  Do you propose to step away from this existing internet, leave it to its devices and build a separate internet that magically acquires a social conscience?  Alternate universe you say.  Yes, that level of science fiction generally becomes necessary.

4. You talk of industry players in artificial intelligence working on best practices. That still isn't the Internet and nor is the Internet going to acquire enough artificial intelligence to turn into skynet from the terminator movies anytime soon.

If all of this circling around multiple different and rather improbable topics was to demand something be done about implementing the Tunis agenda - how utterly regressive!.

Milton said it best so I will avoid going over the details of that obsolete and regressive solution again. http://www.internetgovernance.org/2013/08/22/time-to-retire-the-tunis-agenda/

--srs