[governance] Happy Birthday to all of you on 25 years of the Internet

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Aug 25 10:41:18 EDT 2016

Well since we're playing historian, I agree with Louis that launch of Sputnik/subsequent founding of ARPA is the most appropriate marker.

Since while the protocol itself was an iteration of the NCP and more which came before, much of the work on core concepts and the $$$$$$$ to build packet-switched network technologies - eventually introduced to wider public as the TCP/IP-routed Internet - stemmed straight from that.

In any case, as the Internet Architecture Board formed in 1979 (initially called the Internet Configuration Control Board), and the Internet Engineering Task Force formed in 1986, it is definitely over-simplifying history to wait for the launch of the web to talk of the Internet's birthday(s).

But yes of course the launch of the web made packet nets and specifically the Internet much more user-friendly, so really all these milestones should be recognized and celebrated.

Lee

PS: Personally, I would say the hiring of J.C.R. Licklider by ARPA in 1961 is the moment things seriously started; everything since flowed from that.

Licklider's memos on an 'Intergalactic Computer Network' from 1962 would be the specific marker I - intergalactically ; ) - suggest folks check out or refresh their recollections of.

http://internethalloffame.org/inductees/jcr-licklider