[governance] Civil Society Coordination Group Process Adjustments

Arsène Tungali arsenebaguma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 04:54:08 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

Apologize for a long email.

Referring to my last email to the list regarding the Civil Society
Coordination Group (CSCG) changing process, I am going to share with you
some more details about what’s going on there. You can read more about the
work of this group at the website <http://internetgov-cs.org/>.

The CSCG is making some small changes; including each coalition will soon
have 2 representatives on the CSCG and a regular process for selecting
chairs / co-chairs.  Previously CSCG members, including the IGC, only had 1
representative per coalition (me).  But beginning this September, the IGC
can have 2 representatives on the group.  *Details are below*.

For record, in 2015, Analia Aspis (our current Co-coordinator with me)
replaced Deidre Williams (a former IGC Co-co) on the CSCG. Since 2016 after
I (Arsene Tungali) was elected as Co-coordinator, I am the one representing
the group until the new Co-Coordinator to replace Analia is elected next
year. We have been operating that way for the past few years, having solely
the Co-coordinators representing the group on this coordination body.

Now, following these new changes from a CSCG working group that was
established (to which I am a member), we are opening up and have decided to
have 1 Co-coordinator + another elected member (as the second
representative) and that’s the reason of this email.

We are launching a nomination process which will be followed by a vote to
select the new IGC Representative who will be joining me. *I will do it in
a separate email coming right after this one*.

I am expecting you to start making up your mind and decide if you want to
serve the group in this capacity.

Do not hesitate if you have any question.

Best regards,

Analia & Arsene, IGC Co-coordinators.

*CSCG - MEMBER REPRESENTATIVES*

*Each coalition member has two (2) representatives, chosen according to
their own internal processes, on the CSCG.*

*Each representative serves a term of two years, staggered so that there is
an annual replacement of one representative per coalition.*

*Representatives can serve two consecutive terms, but must then stand down
for at least 12 months before being eligible for further selection.*

*Replenishment should take place in September of each calendar year. (note:
for the initial establishment of member representatives in 2016, each
coalition should nominate which of its members should serve a two year
term, and which a one year term. Any time served prior to 2016 does not
count in new procedures being adopted))*

*The duties of members are to*

*1. Consider the interests of civil society as a whole*

*2. Serve on Nomcoms regularly as required*

*3. Communicate with their coalitions on CSCG developments*

*CHAIR STRUCTURE*

*A Chair, and up to 2 Co-chairs, will be selected by CSCG member
representatives for two year terms.*

*Each September (as necessary when chair and co-chair member terms expire),
the CSCG members will select Chairs and Co-chairs.*

*It is up to the CSCG to determine whether Chairs and Co-chairs are
selected from the CSCG membership, or whether mutually agreed to
representatives from broader civil society are approached to take on these
tasks. *

*Where an elected Chair is a coalition representative, the coalition will
be given the option to nominate a replacement representative*