[governance] GPS mandatory on all mobile phones to be manufactured in India.

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 03:22:40 EDT 2016

While I agree with Ang's and Harish's analysis, I would still highlight
concerns about a technology regulation policy instrument that mandates a
particular brand of technology, thereby precluding competition and
innovation.

GPS has other alternatives such as GLONASS, GALILEO and GNSS. While I
haven't seen the original executive notification by the Central Government,
 I would be concerned if they specifically mandated the use of GPS. The GPS
is designed and maintained by the US government and a lot of IPR royalty
flows to companies in the US for every GPS chipset that is manufactured and
sold anywhere in the world.

The Government should instead consider using a performance regulation
policy instrument that mandates performance parameters (eg. The device
should accurately determine location upto 5 meters), which effectively
allows the device manufacturers and consumers to choose a positioning
technology of their choice.