[governance] GPS mandatory on all mobile phones to be manufactured in India.

Said Zazai saidsemail at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 11:55:46 EDT 2016

I was in Delhi last week and I was surprised to see that Free Wifi was
given at the cost of giving away your mobile phone number which in turns is
registered with a government ID usually. As a tourist with no active Indian
number, wifi was not free for me. I understand that free wifi is not a
mandatory thing to have but a general practice in non-military or
non-surveillance states is that there is some level of free internet at
airports, shopping malls, coffee shops etc., which makes life a lot easier.

The mandatory gps chip in phones is yet another method of monitoring
general public. I believe the government must have a reason to monitor or
track an individual. Imagine someone walking right behind you and make
notes of what you buy, how much you buy them for, where you buy them, who
you talk to and what you talk to them. As a child I would get highly
uncomfortable when the bakery store owner would conclude that we had guests
at home if i would buy more breads than usual and vice versa. The
government does not need to monitor all its citizens but only criminals and
those suspicious but in a transparent manner and within legal framework.

The enemy creation or exaggeration has allowed governments in India,
Pakistan, Afghanistan and many others i'm sure, to invest in technology
that allows them to invade our privacy and general public sell their
privacy for national security. For as long as their is an "enemy" there
will be government tracking us down to save us.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The government of India today made it mandatory for all mobile phone
> makers to install GPS chip sets in handsets from 2018
>
> https://twitter.com/CNBCTV18News/status/724611179956436992
>
> Is this right from a privacy point of view?  Also, while in enhances the
> ability of Governments to track the movements of its citizens, it exposes
> the mobile user to severe security risks, as the GPS data is accessible and
> usable by a multitude of mobile applications, so the whereabouts of a
> mobile phone user is easily tracked by criminals as well.
>
> Sivasubramanian M
>

> --
> Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/