[governance] Legal Status of National IGFs

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:44:08 EDT 2016

Devon,
I thank you for having raised this pertinent question.

When I read paragraph 72, which defines the mandate of the IGF, paragraph
73, which describes the function and operation of the IGF, paragraph 77
which explains the role of the IGF, it is necessary to ask who is empowered
to endorse the recommendations of the IGF at the national level?

In fact the national IGF's report is then presented to the regional level,
at least the recommendations. But these recommendations of national IGF
concerns over the country and is expected to resolve the issues at country
level.

Who should we address these recommendations?

Question may be naive but it has its importance.

I know that in IGF no decision to make, but when we are at the national
level where there are decision makers directly involved in the debates as
well as other stakeholders, what is driving take?

Another question that haunts?

Many countries in Africa and the world, have already organized their IGF,
can they share with us how it goes in their respective countries?
(Just to reach the initial question posed by Arsene)

If the IGF must be limited to events or specific activities similar to
folklore, however is paragraph 72 which gives a mandate to the IGF.

WSIS + 10 gives a new mission with the objectives of sustainable
development while renewing the IGF for 10 years. We are in a new paradigm.

I strongly support the issues raised by Devon and deserve reflection.

> So is there a need to resolve the question of IGF as an event, or IGF as a
> loose consortium, IGF as an international program with defined objectives
> which includes the provision of the fora infrastructure for open dialogue.
> But who analyses the dialogue, who provides a structured framework to the
> deliberations, who acts on recommendations, and how are recommendations
> developed?
> Just asking.
>
> Regards!
>
> Devon
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Judith Hellerstein <
> judith at jhellerstein.com> wrote:
>
>> HI Arsene,
>>
>> I would suggest a non profit form as you would want to raise funds for it
>> and you would want a legal entity. If a non-profit is too difficult than a
>> for profit would work as long as it is truly multi stakeholder. I believe
>> that the IGF-USA is a non-profit or at least affiliated with a non profit.
>> The Mag should have representative from all sectors.  You also make want to
>> include restrictions on how much companies can donate so that a few
>> companies do not dominate on the funding.
>>
>> Best,
>> Judith

>> Judith Hellerstein, Founder & CEO
>> Hellerstein & Associates
>> 3001 Veazey Terrace NW, Washington DC 20008
>> Phone: (202) 362-5139  Skype ID: judithhellerstein
>> E-mail: Judith at jhellerstein.com   Website: www.jhellerstein.com
>> Linked In: www.linkedin.com/in/jhellerstein/
>> Opening Telecom & Technology Opportunities Worldwide
>>

>> On 4/11/2016 8:37 AM, Arsene TUNGALI (Yahoo) wrote:
>>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> We are in the process of having our first national IGF in the DRC and we
>> are wondering what legal status to give to it. Is is a non profit? a
>> movement? This question has been asked by our Ministry in charge of ICT to
>> us as the organizing committee.
>>
>> I am writing to inquire which legal status your national initiatives have
>> within your countries. This will help us know how our Secretariat and our
>> own form of MAG will operate. Please do share your experiences.
>>
>> Thanks for your support,
>> Arsene

>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

> Devon Blake
> ICT and Development Consultant
> 4 Arlington Ave
> Kgn 2
> ,Phone: Office 876-928-9902, Mobile, 876-483-2632
> linkedin:https://www.linkedin.com/in/deblade
> website:www.myintellicenter.com
>
> To be kind, To be helpful, To network
> *Earthwise ... For Life!*

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*

*SECRETAIRE EXECUTIF FGI-IGF RDC*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC*

*ICANN/AFRALO Member*
*ISOC Member*
Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr