[governance] [1st-mile-nm] FCC Lifeline Program

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Apr 2 06:50:10 EDT 2016

There are some other aspects that prevent this from being an easily solvable problem

Smartphones are fairly cheap and affordable - ok

Access is at extremely cheap prices - ok

Education / literacy levels in India are rather low - problem #1

Poverty levels are still high enough that many can’t afford even this - but these people have other, more serious basic needs (food, shelter <- and electricity that’ll charge a phone, clothing, healthcare ..) besides the literacy

Even among quite ill paid people (earning less than $150 a month) - the younger people use cheap smartphones and use whatsapp / the internet etc, while older people stick to using old nokia and samsung handsets that just do voice and text, and maybe play music off an SD card.

—srs