[governance] <nettime> VW

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:05:03 EDT 2015

Interesting response Jeremy.

Of course, what you say is true, but there is a very significant difference between recognizing the way in which the Internet is currently evolving largely under the control of certain identifiable private corporations;  and actively promoting the inclusion of these corporations in the processes of governance which are intended to guide and "manage" this evolution.

In the first instance, the corporations are recognized for what they are--private companies pursuing their own, generally narrowly defined, corporate self-interest whose behaviour needs to regulated in support of the public interest; rather than as you and others are actively promoting where these corporations are to be recognized as equal and cooperating partners involved in consensus processes of global governance (i.e. rule setting).

If we have overwhelming evidence that we should not be trusting VW to be involved in the design of mechanisms for global environmental governance, perhaps you could explain to me why for example Disney Corp, Facebook, Google etc. should be directly involved in the design of mechanisms for global Internet governance and why Civil Society should be so actively promoting that involvement.

Can we thus expect a policy statement from for example the EFF, Access, Digital Partners etc.etc. advocating that it is absolutely necessary that all environmental decision making be undertaken in a consensus mode which includes as equal party "stakeholders" all of those corporations with a major stake in environmental regulation (i.e. the major polluters such as VW etc.etc.)?