[governance] [bestbits] Nominations for IGF closing and opening speakers

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 08:28:41 EDT 2015

This is why the "human right" that concerns me most at the moment is the
right to say no, the right to choose, the right to differ.
Somewhere the sense that we have the freedom NOT to click has got lost in a
compulsion that "this is the only way". "If I don't have Facebook I'll lose
touch with my family." "This is a 'must have' app". These statements are
still NOT TRUE, and we should not allow them to become true.
Admittedly when recently I posted a letter to Barbados, just over 100 miles
away, I was told that the letter would arrive "in the next two weeks", but
it did arrive.
Without the internet the selection procedure which gave this thread its
subject would not have been possible within the time, but it would still
have been possible. Might have taken a year or two, but we could have done
it. :-)
We are supposed to be using the tool, not the tool using us.
We have a choice and we should exercise it before it atrophies and
disappears.
Deirdre

On 29 October 2015 at 02:29, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>
wrote:

> Those are applications that
>
> 1. You choose to install
> 2. You choose to specifically grant those permissions to
>
> On 29-Oct-2015, at 11:28 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
> Avast CEO shared analysis done by company of top 100 applications on
> Android in the month of September.
>
> As per the analysis, 99 per cent of these applications have entire control
> of mobile phone which means they remotely operate phone as a user does and
> 92 per cent can view network connections.
>
> One out of 10 of top 100 applications can record audio and take pictures
> and videos and 9 out of 10 are able to read storage content which can
> modify or delete, as per the report.

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979