[governance] [bestbits] US Support for Multistakeholder Governance is Conditional on US Remaining in Control

Diego Rafael Canabarro diegocanabarro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 07:26:33 EDT 2015

or maybe a mere bluff by Larry :)

either way: extracting the USA govt out of this system does extract the
system out of the direct/indirect control of the USA, isnt it?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 9:24 AM, <genekimmelman at gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds like Larry was giving an assessment of the current Congress.
> That is not necessarily the only path forward for the Obama Administration,
> they could try to move forward without Congressional support.
>
> On Oct 20, 2015, at 7:15 AM, Padmini <pdmnbaruah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Adding to that, he also said that the issue of jurisdiction doesn't relate
> to the physical presence of ICANN  as much as the jurisdiction of dispute
> resolution mechanisms, and to not focus on the former which is not as
> relevant.
> Basically, no move in jurisdiction will ever be supported.
> On 20 Oct 2015 16:43, "Pranesh Prakash" <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:
>
>> At a meeting with civil society actors, Larry Strickling of the US NTIA
>> was asked by my colleague Padmini whether the US Congress would support the
>> multistakeholder model if ICANN's jurisdiction were to shift.
>>
>> He said that it wouldn't.
>>
>> https://twitter.com/pranesh/status/656422297876561921
>>
>> --
>> Pranesh Prakash
>> Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
>> http://cis-india.org | tel:+91 80 40926283
>> sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
>> https://twitter.com/pranesh

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*Diego R. Canabarro*
http://lattes.cnpq.br/4980585945314597
diegocanabarro [at] *gmail.com <http://gmail.com>*
Cell # +55-11-99441470 (São Paulo) / +55-51-8108-1098 (Porto Alegre)
Skype: diegocanabarro
Social networking: diegorrcc